Saturday 11 January 2014

Emhar Mark IV

The 20mm French WW1 tanks seem to have garnered some interest, so although we've had some brief glimpses of these before, here are some British ones, Emhar Mark IVs. These really are fantastic models, slightly fiddly to assemble some bits (the unditching beam rails mainly) but they come with options for both male & female versions as well as more markings than you can shake a stick at including the inevitable Beutepanzer markings.

Three of them lined up, two females and one male.

Not a sight the Germans want to see.

Male version, finished with enclosed barrel MGs.

Female, with exposed barrel MGs.

Masses of rivets, panel lines and sharp edges  to pick up washes and drybrushing.

These have a really solid look to them. Unlike their Airfix pals, these have solid plastic tracks.
I finished these in dark green even though they should be 'khaki', which as we now know was actually brown. Brown heavy tanks just look wrong to my mind, too many years of Airfix box art I suspect. The profusion of rivets make putting the decals on a bit tricky, but as long as you are careful to eliminate air bubbles, it is OK. These were finished with an inkwash and layers of drybrushing, although I went fairly easy on the mud.


5 comments:

  1. They look excellent. For rivets and decals, I thoroughly recommend buying some Microsol, it makes the decals fit to the shape of the model! Interestingly, I was recently looking at buying an Emhar 1/35th scale Mark IV for a diorama, so it's good to see how the smaller scale ones look! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the old Fujumi (?) kits, I think the 1/72nd scale ones are just scaled down versions of the 1/35th ones.

      Yes, I've heard of microsol, I'm just not sure I do enough decal work to justify it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely- one of my favourite kits too.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I have a couple myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both, there is something very satisfying about WW1 tanks.

    I am old enough to remember Peter Purves showing how to make a Mark V out of matchboxes and corrugated card to commemorate Cambrai on Blue Peter!

    ReplyDelete